Take Action! Volunteer for ChildServ
Since our founding in 1894, ChildServ’s volunteers have played a critical role in helping us carry out our mission to build better lives for children and families who are at risk.
In 2017, 321 volunteers – both individuals and those from our community, corporate and faith partners – helped us to improve the lives of 2,481 vulnerable children and families. We are sincerely grateful for their time and commitment to ensuring our clients reach their full potential!
ChildServ has volunteer opportunities for individuals and groups of all sizes, but we are happy to work with you or your organization to create new options that provide meaningful experiences and impact our children and families. Learn how you can build better lives here:
Is your business, corporation or organization looking for a fun, hands-on way to give back and build team unity? Consider a partnership with ChildServ to help our children and families to build better lives.
Beautification projects: Bring a group of employees to volunteer at one of our DuPage County group homes or Chicago-based houses for the current and former military personnel and their families in our Military Counseling program. Activities can include: removing weeds, planting flowers, mulching, painting (interior and exterior), installing new curtains, and building book shelves and tables. Please note: these projects are usually available twice per year at each location.
Collections/Kits: Assemble kits to provide the children and families in our programs with the essentials they need to build a strong foundation for the best possible life. Kits vary based on programs. Examples are:
- Baby Bundles: Make sure that the babies and young mothers in our Teen Mom foster care program have what they need to start life off well. Bundles include: diaper bag, diapers, travel wipes, layettes, t-shirts, onesies, bottles, board books, toys, etc.
- Literacy Kits: Encourage children ages 2-5 in our early learning program to read and learn. Collect items such as books, flash cards, educational games, crayons, pencils, coloring books, alphabet building worksheets, number games, and soft toys that are part of stories (birds, farm and jungle animals, vegetables, fruits, cars, trains, planes, etc.).
- Adolescent Kits: Assemble kits that provide a fresh, welcoming start for a child or young adult entering a new foster home. Kits include: comforter (twin), shampoo, soap, deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrush, lotion/oil, shaving cream, disposable shaver, tweezers, nail care, foot powder, towels and wash cloths.
- Welcome Home Kits: Equip the formerly homeless young adults in our Emerge program with things they need to feel at home in their apartment so that they can achieve self-sufficiency. Items include: toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, shaving cream, lotion, shampoo, soap, deodorant, as well as bed sheets, towels and washcloths.
Are you looking for a way to get involved in helping a child reach their potential?
- Mentor: Make a positive impact in the life of a teen in our group homes or formerly homeless young adult in our Emerge program by providing academic or career guidance.
- Activity sponsor: Fund a monthly outing or an evening of fun for the teens in our group homes.
- Share your expertise: Host a workshop or seminar for our early childhood moms, current and former military personnel in our Military Counseling program, group homes youth or young adults in Emerge, educating them on a particular topic or teaching them a skill. Topics may include: online job searching, resume writing, financial literacy, budgeting, etc.
The holidays are a time of giving. Spread cheer by donating your time, talents and treasure to ensure our children and families experience the joy of the holiday season!
- Sponsor a Child: Make sure the holiday wishes of a child in our care come true by donating new toys, clothes, and books during our Holiday Gift Drive in early December.
- Toy Room Helper: Assist with sorting, organizing and packaging presents for the children in our programs during ChildServ’s Holiday Gift Drive. Weekend and evening hours are available.
- Holiday Party Sponsor: Help to fund a client gathering around the holidays, providing snacks, food and crafts for activities.
- Stocking Stuffers: Fill stockings with items to be given out at client holiday parties. Items vary by program and age range.
- Thanksgiving Meal Helper: Provide a box of food for one of our early childhood families or group homes to ensure that they can celebrate Thanksgiving together with their family.
To register as an individual volunteer, fill out an application (PDF) and email the form to Zulma Colon, Individual Engagement Manager, at email@example.com. Zulma can also be reached by phone at (773) 867-7361.